Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Aspen Food and Wine Classic


Aspen: home of the rich and famous! Aspen is a very small town, but full of charm and class. But the only similarity Aspen has to small town Sioux Center is that you might see someone more than once or twice in a day! People know each other here, but your neighbors aren't the Vander Veen's or Van Strubleheinen's (fake examples)...instead your neighbors are Kate Hudson, Lance Armstrong, and many other celebrities.

So far my time in Aspen has been fun, but very tiring. I've had full days of nannying (10am-12am) since Charles and Kristen are busy with the Food and Wine festival going on. There are thousands of people here for this festival, and its known to be the most elite wine festival in the world! Kristen was nice enough to let me use her pass to go to a wine tasting. I tried wines that are over $200 a bottle! I felt very out of place since so many people here are experts in where wine is from, how it smells, tastes, etc. Over time I'm learning more and more about wine, and I'm starting to have more of an appreciation for it. I met Mario Batali and Giada De Laurentiis, but I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be. In the end all those famous people look just like any other person!

Gabriel, Sabine, and I spend our mornings at the playground, afternoons at the pool, then our nights at the playground again or watching a movie. I've gotten really close to the kids now, and I'm starting to really love and care for them. They are great kids! Sabine and I share the same weird humor, so we laugh a lot with each other.

Tonight Kristen's sister, brother in law, and kids are joining us in Aspen for 4 days. I hope I don't get overloaded with more kids to take care of! The Bieler's treat me well though, I must say! I've had some delicious food from the festival, and playing in the pool and getting sun every afternoon isn't so bad :)

I met a few other nannies at the park, so hopefully tomorrow I will be hanging out with them! We are going to go to church in the morning, then on a long hike in the mountains in the afternoon. Its really nice to hang out with other women my age!

That's all for now! I love all of you and miss you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment