Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Farewell


My time in New York City has come to an end. It is a very bitter sweet for me. After living here 3 months I will admit that it is quite an addiction. The energy, how the city never sleeps, miles and miles of unique stores, parks, restaurants, and so much more. This city is unlike any other. I'm glad I got to know it on a personal level, not just as a tourist. If I was a tour guide I wouldn't bring people to popular landmarks (except the Brooklyn Bridge), I would bring them to things only natives know; hole in the wall restaurants, the high line, outdoor movies, the secret-door cocktail lounges, etc.

My summer didn't just consist of New York City, but also many other destinations. Maine will always be to me the most serene, calming, and beautiful state. Yes there are a lot of mosquitoes, but the view I had overlooking the ocean made it all worth it. My trip to Aspen, Colorado was something I will probably never experience again. I was treated to $300 bottles of wine, many taste testings, hiking in the mountains, and a luxury vacation only millionaires can afford. Vermont gave me an inside view of life on a horse ranch. Vermont's rolling mountains are beautiful, and the villages so quaint. South Hampton was also a wonderful vacation. I can see why New Yorkers rush off to long island for a weekend getaway. Its a quick way to get away from the business of the city.

Wow, recapping my summer made me realize how amazing it was! I am so blessed to have been given this opportunity! I'm glad I have a "go getter" personality, because this wouldn't have happened without persistent searching of profiles, calling, emailing, and more researching. Thanks, Leah for the website! I got this job through greataupair.com. Most importantly I can see how God worked to get me here, and how I've learned so much this summer about him, and his plan for me!

The highlight of my summer was being able to reconnect with Leah. Leah is one of my best friends, so it was great to be able to hang out with her again. Leah is living her life here in New York, and plans to attend Adelphi University. She also has a waitressing job. I will miss her so, so very much. Love you, Leah!

The hardest thing about leaving New York City will not be the skyline, nor H&M, Urban Outfitters, Times Square, the Brooklyn Bridge, etc. I will miss Gabriel and Sabine. I wish all of you could get to know these two kids. They are the most special kids you will ever know. Sabine is so talented, so kind, passionate, grateful, polite, silly, and beautiful. I've never seen a 5 year old quite as flexible as her, and she is always wanting to learn new things. Gabriel is the funniest child I will ever meet (other than Noah), and he is nothing you've ever seen before. Strangers literally take pictures of him because he is so cute. Everyone says "oh I want to take him home with me!! Awww what a cute kid!" I've never seen so many passerby's smile. These kids make others happy. Gabriel may have his outburts, and he may be very hard to handle at times, but his smiles, his hug, and his want for me to hold him makes it all worth it. I will miss these two kids so very much. I am scared to say goodbye to them. I hate goodbyes.

I'm already trying to plan a time I can see them in October, so hopefully that works out! Everyone tells me NY is absolutely beautiful in the fall, so how could I miss it?

Again, overall I'm amazed at what a great summer I've had. The Bieler's treated me so well, and I got to see and do so many different things. I've also seen how my faith in God has been quite the roller coaster ride. I've been tested time and time again, and I've seen the totally different way people live here. New York City is nothing like Sioux Center, IA. Absolutely nothing. There was not one person I met that was Christian Reformed, and quite honestly I don't even know if I knew of a Republican!? Things are so different here, so trying to stay intact with what I've grown up to believe was tough, I must admit. Overall I've gained a lot of knowledge, and I feel like I'm ready for any challenge that comes my way.

Kristen treated me to a farewell dinner tonight at a really nice restaurant, so that was fun! Also, I'm going to see Rihanna in concert Friday morning!

I'm sad to leave, but so very excited to come home. I've missed my family and friends so much! I cannot wait to catch up where we left off. I've come to really appreciate those close to me, and I'm thrilled for the school year to begin! Thanks for reading my blog everyone! I love you all.

Brittany Sue

2 comments:

  1. I love you too! And I'm going to miss you so so so so muchhh
    xoxo
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are sad to leave, but we're happy you're coming home!

    ReplyDelete